Does Your Medical Waste Company Measure Up?
Why We Need to Change
The most widely used medical waste treatment technologies around the world are autoclaves and incinerators. The majority of medical waste is red bagged, steam treated by autoclave and buried. Below is a snapshot of these commercial technologies and their impact to public health and the environment.
An autoclave is an industrial pressure cooker. Natural gas is used to heat boilers to temperatures of 148°C or 298°F to create steam in the pressurized vessel. Medical waste is loaded into carts and pushed into the unit where it is steam treated. Millions of gallons of water are used disposed into the sewer. Offensive odors from moisture treated human waste and semi melted plastics are created and vented outside to the surrounding community. Efficacy is questionable as closed and sealed infectious waste bags are stacked on top of each other. After treatment, saturated waste is transported to the landfill. It is still recognizable and buried in full form. There is NO volume reduction making it a public health and environmental hazard for generations to come. Results of this antiquated heat and energy intensive process is shown below.
The Medical Waste Incinerator
Medical waste incineration involves the burning of waste by combustion at temperatures of 1,100° C or 2000° F. Incineration is the primary disposal method for pathological, pharmaceutical and chemotherapy (radioactive) waste. There are no medical waste incinerators in Colorado. Few incinerators remain in the U.S. due to their toxic emissions of dioxins, furans and heavy metals which are known cancer causing carcinogens. Human exposure is linked to respiratory illness, impairment of the immune system, the developing nervous system, the endocrine system and reproductive functions. Food, animals, fish, soil and water sources are subject to contamination from these toxic air pollutants. Incinerators are heat and energy intensive units and heavy consumers of natural gas used to achieve high combustion temperatures.
Make the Switch!
Leading the industry with Colorado’s only sustainable medical waste processing facility and over 25 years of experience, our expertise and customer service is unsurpassed.
We have outlived the startups, mergers and acquisitions of our competitors. Colorado Medical Waste is proud to offer premier medical waste management and disposal along with friendly, personalized, award winning service and customized programs based on each client’s need. We tailor our service around you! We appreciate our loyal customers who have helped us rise to the top of our industry and welcome new customers like family. Here’s a quick look at a few of the many reasons to do business with us:
- We have been recognized locally and nationally for leadership in sustainable medical waste management.
- We are a local, minority-owned, woman-owned small business.
- We have provided collection, transportation and disposal service for over 25 years and are industry experts.
- Cutting edge technologies and processes provide the most environmentally friendly means of medical waste disposal to date.
- We serve all types of medical waste generators and businesses.
- Reliable, award winning service and customer retention has earned us a reputation that you can count on.
- We offer sustainable and value added service with competitive prices.
- We make it easy, convenient and cost efficient to do the right thing.